Saturday, August 23, 2008

Not Happy-Making

I'm usually excited when it's finally time to open the kiln and see if my design concepts work. This time Iwon't be. I just spent four hours loading the kiln with pieces for the upcoming market and I am really disappointed with the contents. Maybe it's because there are a lot of test pieces in there - ideas I wanted to try, but aren't sure about. Perhaps it's because I did a lot of fall-back pieces because my brain simply could not process what to do with the glass I had.

See, I've been out of the market for about three years. That's a really long time and technology and the customer base have both become more refined. I don't have the newest colors in my repitoire. My constant sellers are passe; and I'm in too big a rush to sit down and work on the new ideas in my head.

I think I need to spend some quality time with my sketchbook because I don't want to be the seller that has what everyone else does. I want to be the one that everyone else follows.

No comments: